DAVID HOWARD SANDERS
Research and Academic Interests
Behavior and design of structures in structural concrete with emphasis in bridges and connections; Seismic evaluation, design, strengthening and repair, including composites; Laboratory testing and analysis of large scale components and systems including multi-directional earthquake simulation.
Doctor of Philosophy - Structural Engineering
Dissertation: Design and Behavior of Anchorage Zones in Post-Tensioned Concrete Members
University of Texas at Austin, August 1990
Master of Science in Engineering - Structural Engineering
Thesis: Strength and Behavior of Double-Tee Tubular Joints in Tension
University of Texas at Austin, May 1986
Bachelors of Science with Distinction and Honor in Civil Engineering
Iowa State University, May 1984
- University Foundation Professor, Dept. of Civil & Env. Eng., University of Nevada, Reno, April 2014 to present
- Faculty Senate Chair, University of Nevada, Reno, July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016
- Professor, Dept. of Civil & Environmental Eng., University of Nevada, Reno, July 2006 to April 2014
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Civil & Environmental Eng., University of Nevada, Reno, July 1996 to June 2006
- Earthquake Simulation Development Leave, National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, State University of New York, Buffalo, January 1996 to May 1996. (Selected by Civil Engineering Earthquake Engineering Faculty)
- Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering Dept., University of Nevada, Reno, January 1990 to July 1996.
- Research Assistant, Ferguson Structural Engineering Laboratory, University of Texas at Austin, June 1986 to December 1989.
- Research Engineer, Ferguson Structural Engineering Laboratory, University of Texas at Austin, High Strength Bolts, January 1986 to May 1986.
- Research Assistant, Ferguson Structural Engineering Laboratory, University of Texas at Austin, June 1984 to December 1985.
- Undergraduate Research Assistant, Engineering Research Institute, Structural Engineering Laboratory, Iowa State University, January 1983 to August 1983.
- Assistant Structural Engineer, Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Oak Brook, IL, May 1982 to August 1982.
Engineer-In-Training (Iowa, 1984).
American Concrete Institute (1986 to present).
American Society of Civil Engineers (National and State) (Structural Engineering Institute) (1983 to present).
Truckee Meadows Branch of ASCE (1990 to present).
Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (1994 to present).
Consortium of University for Research in Earthquake Engineering (2004 to 2016).